Academic Acceleration

Experiential Learning Credits

Those who have acquired academic knowledge or skills through direct experience, in-service training, or non-credit classes may seek validation for college credit. Students do this through a process known as portfolio assessment. Step one is to take ACAD 150, Portfolio Development, offered in an online format. The course helps students develop documentation of credit-worthy experiences (the portfolio). Step two is submission of the portfolio to the University. Step three is to pay the administrative fee for the hours to be assessed for the student’s official transcript. Upon payment, the Office of the Registrar will post the courses earned on the student’s official transcript. Note there are no grades associated with credit earned through portfolio assessment. All portfolios must be completed within one year of completing ACAD 150. Contact the Office of Academic Affairs for more information.

Total credits earned toward a Findlay bachelor’s degree by experiential learning credits, advanced placement, International Baccalaureate Organization’s Diploma Program, or transfer of extension or correspondence credit may not exceed 30 semester hours (15 hours for an associate’s degree). Any credit is subject to approval of the college dean, the registrar, and the vice president for academic affairs.

International Baccalaureate Organization’s Diploma Program

Students completing International Baccalaureate Organization’s Diploma Program (IBODP) higher-level subjects may be eligible to receive advanced standing and/or college credit by submitting the results of the IBODP. Credit and/or waiver may be given for grades of five or better upon evaluation by the appropriate college dean.

Proficiency Examinations

Examinations to demonstrate subject matter proficiency may be taken for non-credit validation within the first week of a term. Proficiency examinations cannot be used to replace a course previously taken at The University of Findlay.

A student who wishes to take a proficiency examination will pay an administrative fee. A student completing a proficiency examination with a “C” or higher will receive a course waiver on his/her unofficial transcript. A student who receives a grade less than “C” will not have the course waived on his/her unofficial transcript.

Placement Examinations and Pretests

Examinations to determine placement within a subject matter area must be taken for non-credit validation before a student has registered for a course in that subject area.

An appropriate score for a placement examination and/or pretest may be required as a prerequisite for a course. The completion of a placement examination and/or a pretest will not be reflected on a student’s University transcript.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Nationally normed CLEP examinations are given at The University of Findlay to validate knowledge of both general and specific subject areas. CLEP exams may not be taken in areas already successfully completed for course credit. Contact the Office of the Registrar for more information.