Financial Aid

Each year more than 87 percent of students attending The University of Findlay receive some form of financial assistance.

To apply for financial aid, a student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA); the form is available online at  The University of Findlay’s school code is 003045.  The U.S. Department of Education, the Ohio Board of Regents, and The University of Findlay’s Office of Financial Aid use the FAFSA results to determine a student’s eligibility for various types of financial aid.  Since some financial aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, the Office of Financial Aid recommends that the FAFSA be filed no later than January 1 for fall enrollment. The University awards financial aid on the basis of need and academic ability. Please note that in order to receive financial aid, a student must have a social security number or a tax identification number.

The Office of Financial Aid will provide an aid award to the student who has been admitted and has filed the FAFSA. Typically, the undergraduate award will include grant (gift) aid, employment eligibility, and loan eligibility, while the graduate award will typically only include Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans.

A student must re-apply for financial aid annually. The University of Findlay seeks to provide comparable aid packages from year to year for returning students.  However, the student’s eligibility and the availability of federal, state, and/or institutional funds, as well as the student’s academic performance and enrollment level may affect renewal year awards.  Some types of aid, for example, may require a minimum grade point average for renewal.  Requirements will be detailed in the award letter.  In addition, undergraduate students who elect to live off-campus instead of in University housing may have their institutional aid reduced to some extent.

While the University encourages students to participate in off-campus study, institutionally-funded financial aid may not be used off campus (e.g., overseas study, transient enrollment at another institution). Institutionally-funded aid is aid provided by University-funded scholarships, grants, and endowed awards. Federal and state aid may be used to help defray off-campus tuition and living expenses.

Any questions that students or parents may have about the financial aid process may be directed to a member of the financial aid staff at The University of Findlay by letter, telephone, or e-mail (

The Office of Financial Aid uses the following deadlines for the awarding of institutional financial aid (excluding merit scholarships/grants): for fall-semester enrollment, the FAFSA must be submitted no later than Sept. 30; for spring-semester enrollment, no later than Jan. 30. The University reserves the right to make exceptions for hardships.

Early submission of the FAFSA will enable the aid office to provide more timely information to the student and parents, and will enable the business office to provide more accurate billing information to the student.  Federal and state aid eligibility will not be affected by this imposition of an application deadline. This deadline applies only to institutionally-funded financial aid.

The Office of Financial Aid monitors the student’s satisfactory academic progress (SAP) in accord with federal regulations. The Office of Financial Aid monitors SAP at the end of each semester, and students who fail the minimum requirements are subject to suspension of their federal aid eligibility. Students may appeal a financial aid suspension directly through the Office of Financial Aid.  A complete copy of the undergraduate and/or graduate policy can be obtained by contacting the Office of Financial Aid by e-mail ( or phone (419-434-4791) or by visiting

The following is a listing of aid types for which a student may be eligible at The University of Findlay:


  • Federal Pell (for undergraduate student only)

  • Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity (for undergraduate student only)

  • Federal TEACH (for undergraduate and graduate student)

  • Ohio College Opportunity (for undergraduate student only)

  • Choose Ohio First (for undergraduate and graduate student)

  • Pennsylvania Higher Education (for undergraduate student only)


  • Federal Direct Subsidized (for undergraduate student only)

  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized (for undergraduate and graduate student)

  • Federal Direct Parent PLUS (for parent of undergraduate student only)

  • Federal Direct Graduate PLUS (for graduate student only)

  • Interest rate information for all federal loans can be found at

  • Private Education Loan (for undergraduate and graduate student)

Student Employment:

  • Federal Work-Study (for undergraduate and graduate student)
  • University-funded student employment (for undergraduate and graduate student)

Institutional Scholarships and Grants:

Used for any educational expense:
  • Athletic (for undergraduate and graduate students)
  • Business Affiliates (for undergraduate students only)
Used for tuition only:
  • Deans’ (for undergraduate students only)
  • Findlay Award (for undergraduate students only)
  • Music and Theatre (for undergraduate students only)
  • President’s (for undergraduate students only)
  • Trustees’ (for undergraduate students only)